The 24th Annual Kids’ Boutique was held August 9, 2020 at the Kohl’s Department Store.
The end of summer signals that time of year when the Junior League of Tallahassee (JLT) gears up for our annual back-to-school shopping event, Kids’ Boutique! Each year, the JLT works directly with guidance counselors at Leon County elementary schools to identify children in need of essential clothes, shoes, and school supplies. Thanks to all of our generous sponsors, the League purchased back-to-school items for 150 local children and was able to provide each child with a backpack filled with school supplies – not only giving them much-needed tangible items, but also a sense of self-esteem and pride to start the new school year off right!
Due to COVID-19, Kids’ Boutique looked a little different this year, but the League was still able to provide the same unique and fun experience for all participants in a way that was safe for everyone. Below are just a few of the steps we took to keep all of our children, families, and volunteers safe:
- By extending the shopping window, we allowed fewer shoppers in the store at one time. This helped us stay within CDC guidelines for group gatherings and helped families maintain 6 feet of distance from other shoppers.
- Temperature checks were conducted at the door for all volunteers and shoppers.
- All families were provided with masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer.
- All volunteers were required to wear masks.
- Our shopping partner, Kohl’s, increased sanitization of high-touch, high-traffic areas and installed protective barriers at each customer transaction touchpoint.
- In an effort to maintain social distancing, instead of pairing volunteers to shop with a family, families were provided with instructions and a budget and were assisted with price checks.
- For families who were not comfortable attending the event in person, volunteers used guidelines provided by the families to shop for the child and arranged a pickup time on the day of the event.
This year’s event was memorable, and most importantly, safe, for all of our children and families!
A huge thank-you to our amazing Kids’ Boutique sponsors!
Without your generous donations, we would not have been able to provide these clothes, shoes, and school supplies to local children in need. Because of you, nearly 150 Leon County elementary school students will enter the 2020-21 school year with confidence and the tools they need to succeed!